Foreign Trained Physiotherapists wanting to work
in the Australia

To work as a physiotherapist in Australia, you need to apply for and be registered with the Physiotherapy Board of Australia. You may also need to apply for a visa issued by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (Australian Immigration Department).

These two application processes are entirely separate and success in one does not automatically guarantee success in the other.

Most overseas qualified physiotherapists need to have their qualifications assessed by the Australian Physiotherapy Council to meet one of the eligibility requirements for General Registration. There are two assessment pathways for the purpose of General Registration available to overseas qualified physiotherapists:

  • The Standard Assessment Pathway comprising of an Eligibility Assessment, a Written Assessment, and a Clinical Assessment.
  • The Equivalence of Qualification Pathway is an accelerated assessment process which measures evidence of overseas training courses and qualifications against the requirements for accreditation of Australian physiotherapy programs.

If an overseas qualified physiotherapist is not an Australian permanent resident or citizen, an appropriate Australian visa needs to be obtained for working in the country. Some visas require an assessment of skills and qualifications for migration purposes and the Council conducts Assessments for Skilled Migration for physiotherapists.

To find out which assessment is suitable for you, click here.

As of 4 February 2015, a new process applies for checking criminal history outside of Australia. This new approach requires certain applicants and registered practitioners to apply for an international criminal history check from an approved supplier.

For more information, please refer to the International Criminal History page on the AHPRA website.

New Zealand Registered Physiotherapists wanting to work in Australia

Physiotherapists who hold full registration and a current annual practising certificate issued by the Physiotherapy Board of New Zealand can apply for General Registration directly to the Physiotherapy Board of Australia under the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Agreement (TTMRA). The Physiotherapy Board of Australia is a separate organisation to the Australian Physiotherapy Council. The Physiotherapy Board of Australia website is

We also maintain a useful section in our Physio Forum dedicated to working in Australia as a physiotherapist. See more here.