Physiotherapy Course Summary:
“I connect with my patients so much better since taking this course.” Physiotherapist
20/21 January 2018
27/28 January 2018
24/25 February 2018
10/11 March 2018
23/24 April 2018
The challenge of successfully managing persistent pain can be one of the most daunting for both clinicians and people in pain who are often frustrated after failed short-term interventions. It is often difficult to understand and explain high and prolonged levels of pain where a traditional tissue based cause is lacking. This course explores a cutting edge, patient centered approach using a variety of practical learning methods to help your patients make sense and overcome their pain. It provides a range of practical applications and innovative learning methods to take into your clinic for immediate results. The course content blends a wide range of contemporary evidence from both educational and healthcare literature. Know Pain courses have been taught in 15 countries and have provided a wide range of clinicians around the world with practical pain education skills. Feedback from over 700 healthcare professionals who have attended Know Pain courses has shown that 100% would recommend a Know Pain course to their colleagues. 95% of people strongly agreed that Know Pain had equipped them with practical skills to help people in pain.
Setting the Scene: What are we hoping to achieve?
Linking pain, perception & behaviour change.
A Paradigm Shift: How we think influences how we educate people about their pain. An introduction to evidence-based adult learning theories. Learn how to tailor pain education by developing your teaching toolkit.
The Neurobiology of Pain: Helping people make sense of the complexity of pain using experiential learning & guided discovery to make it stick!
The Language of Pain: Developing communication skills. Explore the influence that language and metaphors have on pain perception. Discover ways to help people express their experience of pain and overcome it.
Pain & The Affective Mind: The practical application of psychologically informed physical rehabilitation.
Understanding & using CBT, Mindfulness, MI, ACT & CBM with people in pain.
Getting Going Again: Empowering function.
Putting it all together. Explore the integration of shared decision making and graded exposure with evidence-based psychological management of pain.
Practical Application of Adult Learning Theories
Learn how to apply your Know Pain tools through real life case studies, problem-based, self-directed, peer-assisted & blended learning methods for improved patient education.
1) To understand the relationship between pain, perception and behaviour change.
2) An evidence-based understanding of what people in pain want from healthcare professionals.
3) To appreciate the gap between the complexity of the nervous system & the hunt for the ‘off switch’.
4) To understand the need for Socratic questioning & guided discovery.
5) To apply these when explaining a) the role of the nervous system b) central sensitisation & c) long term potentiation (LTP) with your patients.
6) To explore the role of metaphors within pain reconceptualisation.
7) To understand the role of fear avoidance in pain rehabilitation & to apply cognitive-behavioural therapy, acceptance & commitment therapy & mindfulness techniques.
8) To optimise patient education by understanding and applying educational theories to clinical practice.
Cost: £275 Length: 2 Days CPD Hours: 14
20% DISCOUNT FOR MULTIPLE BOOKINGS & STUDENTS
Know Pain courses are suitable for all healthcare professionals