Physiotherapy Course Summary:
Add a new and rewarding dimension to your practice. Many people can benefit from breathing retraining and this skill suits private practice as well as hospital-based physios.
Dysfunctional breathing underlies many chronic disorders incl: asthma, anxiety, snoring, sleep apnoea. This comprehensive theory and practical training provides vital knowledge and skills to relieve and prevent these disorders in adults & children.
Dysfunctional breathing is defined as a behaviour which compromises physiology. It is however rarely recognised or treated, as assessment of a person’s baseline breathing pattern is not part of standard medical diagnosis.
Physiotherapists with knowledge and skills in breathing pattern assessment and retraining have enormous potential to assist people with:
• Asthma, Allergies, Nasal Problems, Dyspnoea
• Snoring, Sleep Apnoea, Insomnia
• Anxiety & Panic Disorders & PTSD
• Mouth Breathing, Airway & Orthodontic Issues
Clinical data show over 90% of people experience significant relief of symptoms of these conditions within 5 days.
Two levels of training are being offered:
LEVEL 1: ESSENTIAL BREATHING SKILLS February 8, 2018
Introductory level of assessment and correction of dysfunctional breathing. (CPD hours: 7)
• A procedure to identify & assess dysfunctional breathing habits
• Understand the mechanical, physiological, psychological and biochemical effects of dysfunctional breathing
• Techniques to relieve acute symptoms
• Integrating physiologically normal breathing into physio, rehab, psych therapy, ADL, yoga, Pilates, meditation for enhanced effects
FEE: $330 (300 + GST) Inclusions: Course Notes & Workbook
($247.50 with 25% Physiosure member discount)
LEVEL 2: ESSENTIALS OF BREATHING RETRAINING Feb 9-11, 2018
This training reviews and expands upon Level 1 training, teaches the skills and structure for delivering effective breathing retraining programs, goes deeper into theory, practice and application, includes personal experience of breathing retraining, and is followed by a 6-month mentoring program. (90 mins/mth. Total CPD hours: 30).
Pre-requisite: Level 1 training.
• Delivering breathing retraining programs to adults and children
• Techniques to restore comfortable, nose-diaphragm breathing, good posture, optimal rate, rhythm, tidal volume and O2/CO2 balance
• Techniques to reset medullary respiratory drive
• Buteyko Method techniques
• • Integrating better breathing into speech, sleep, exercise, pulmonary rehab, and stress and pain management
• Tailoring breathing retraining to the individual
• Practice, role playing
• Extensive discussion of case studies
• Working with doctors and healthcare professionals
• Monthly mentoring via Zoom for 6 months
BONUS INCLUSIONS LEVEL 2
• Practice development modules
• Personal experience of breathing retraining
• 2 hrs of outdoor breathing coaching in exercise (hill walk & swim)
FEES: $2200 (2000 + GST)
($1650 with 25% Physiosure member discount)
Inclusions: Course Notes & Workbook, Certificate of Attendance, Outdoor breathing coaching sessions, 6 months mentoring program
With the high and increasing prevalence of breathing-related disorders there is a huge need for physiotherapists skilled in breathing assessment and breathing retraining.
PRESENTER: Physiotherapist Tess Graham has extensive clinical and research experience in breathing assessment and breathing therapy. Tess has worked in this field for 25 yrs with 6500 people. She teaches physios, psychs, speech pathologists and OTs, enabling them to enhance their effectiveness within their modality or expand their scope of practice through offering effective breathing retraining programs. Author: Relief from Snoring and Sleep Apnoea; Relief from Anxiety and Panic. http://breatheability.com/training