Learn breathing retraining techniques developed by Tess Graham to relieve conditions where a 24/7 dysfunctional breathing pattern is characteristic, including asthma, snoring, sleep apnoea, chronic anxiety, PTSD. Add a rewarding dimension to your practice - Breathing Retraining. IMMEDIATE CLINICAL APPLICATION.
Dysfunctional breathing is defined as a behaviour which compromises physiology. It underlies many chronic disorders in children and adults. It is however rarely recognised or treated, as assessment of a person’s baseline breathing pattern is not part of standard medical diagnosis.
Physiotherapists with knowledge and skills in breathing pattern assessment and retraining have enormous potential to assist people with:
• Asthma, Allergies, Nasal Problems, Dyspnoea
• Snoring, Sleep Apnoea, Insomnia
• Anxiety & Panic Disorders & PTSD, Hyperventilation Disorders
• Mouth-breathing, Compromised Airway & Orthodontic Issues
• Poor exercise capacity or seeking enhanced sports performance
• AND for the practitioner to improve their own state of wellbeing
Clinical data show > 90% of people experience significant relief of symptoms within 5 days.
BREATHING DYSFUNCTION - THE MISSED DIAGNOSIS IN ANXIETY and SLEEP DISORDERS
Physiotherapists who have done Tess Graham’s trainings, often state that they now can help patients with breathing-related issues that they were unable to help before e.g. snoring and sleep apnoea, and make a faster, easier, and more profound impact in helping those with asthma, panic disorder and COPD.
2-DAY WORKSHOP: ESSENTIAL BREATHING SKILLS Aug 8-9, Sydney or Aug 29-30 Melb, 2019 (L1)
Introductory level of assessment and correction of dysfunctional breathing. (Total CPD hours: 16)
• A procedure to identify & assess dysfunctional breathing habits
• Understand the mechanical, physiological, neurological, psychological and biochemical effects of dysfunctional breathing
• Techniques to restore regular, comfortable, nose-diaphragm breathing with good posture and balanced O2/CO2
• Strategies to facilitate deep relaxation and relieve and prevent the stress response, breathlessness, panic attacks, snoring and insomnia
• Techniques to relieve acute symptoms
• Integrating physiologically normal breathing into physio, rehab, psych therapy, ADL, yoga, Pilates, meditation for enhanced effects
• Immediate clinical application
FEE: $693 ($630 + GST) EARLYBIRD by July 3
FEE: $825 ($750 + GST) STANDARD from July 4
Inclusions: Course Notes & Workbook,
BONUS: 2 x 60min follow-on mentoring sessions (online)
With the high and increasing prevalence of breathing-related disorders there is a huge need for physiotherapists skilled in breathing assessment and breathing retraining.
PRESENTER: Physiotherapist Tess Graham has extensive clinical and research experience in breathing assessment and breathing therapy. Tess has worked in this field for 25 yrs with 6500 people. She teaches physios, psychologists, speech pathologists, OTs, exercise physiologists, and sleep-dental health professionals, enabling them to enhance their effectiveness within their modality or expand their scope of practice through offering effective breathing retraining programs. Tess has a Diploma in the Buteyko Breathing Technique. (Moscow). Author: Relief from Snoring and Sleep Apnoea (Penguin 2012); Relief from Anxiety and Panic: by changing how you breathe (2017).