Physiotherapy Course Summary:
Highly practical 2-day workshop providing invaluable skills to relieve and prevent anxiety, panic, asthma, dyspnoea, snoring and sleep apnoea by addressing the dysfunctional breathing patterns that underlie them.
Dysfunctional breathing is defined as a behaviour which compromises physiology and/or psychology. Faulty (baseline) breathing patterns are extremely common, though rarely diagnosed or treated.
This training is presented by Tess Graham, a physiotherapist with extensive clinical practice and research experience in breathing assessment and therapy. She has worked exclusively in this field for 25 years, with over 6500 patients, developing the concept and unique breathing retraining skills. She has been teaching private practice and hospital-based physiotherapists, speech pathologists, OTs and psychologists in Australia and abroad, enabling them to expand their scope of practice through offering effective breathing retraining programs for clients with airway and breathing-related issues. Tess is the author of Relief from Snoring and Sleep Apnoea (2012) and Relief from Anxiety and Panic (2017).
ADD A NEW AND REWARDING DIMENSION TO YOUR PRACTICE
This Level 1 training provides a solid introduction to breathing retraining. It aims to give you information and practical skills that will have immediate clinical application.
The workshop content includes:
- A unique procedure to identify and assess dysfunctional breathing habits and their effect on the health and wellbeing of your patient
- Understand the mechanical, physiological, psychological and biochemical effects of dysfunctional breathing
- Understand the breathing/anxiety /insomnia/chronic pain and sleep disorders connection
- Techniques to help restore regular, comfortable, nose-diaphragm breathing with good posture and the optimal O2/CO2 balance during rest, speech, sleep and exercise
- Techniques to assist your clients to relieve acute symptoms such as blocked nose, dyspnoea, dizziness, panic attacks…
- Strategies to relieve and prevent the stress response, breathlessness, panic attacks and insomnia and for pain management.
- How to teach clients to integrate better breathing into everyday life, physical exercise, Pilates, yoga, meditation, pulmonary rehabilitation, and stress and pain management.
- How to monitor and improve your own breathing
This highly experiential and content-rich training features lectures, experiential exercises, discussions, case studies and question and answer periods. Participants will experience first-hand the practice and application of better breathing into rest, physical activity, speech and sleep over the two days.
Brisbane 20-21 July - Only 4 places left
Sydney 20-24 July
Adelaide 7-8 August
Melbourne 10-11 August