Physiotherapy Course Summary:
Exciting 2-day workshop presents the concept and unique breathing retraining skills developed by Aus physiotherapist Tess Graham. It will provide invaluable skills to relieve and prevent anxiety, panic, asthma, dyspnoea, sleep apnoea and snoring.
The workshop offers physiotherapists and psychologists clinical and research insights into assessment and management of conditions which are directly or indirectly related to dysfunctional breathing.
ADD A NEW AND REWARDING DIMENSION TO YOUR PRACTICE
This training has immediate clinical application. Physiotherapist Tess Graham shows you how to use this safe, evidence-based program to normalise physiology and improve your clients' sleep, and physical and mental wellbeing.
Dysfunctional breathing is defined as a behaviour which compromises physiology and/ or psychology. Faulty (baseline) breathing patterns are extremely common, though rarely diagnosed or treated. There is a huge need for skilled therapists; the potential to assist patients is enormous.
Tess Graham has extensive clinical and research experience in breathing assessment and BREATHING RETRAINING. She has worked exclusively in this field for 25 years, with over 6500 patients. She has been teaching private practice and hospital-based physiotherapists and psychologists in Australia and abroad, enabling them to expand their scope of practice through offering effective breathing retraining programs. Tess is the author of Relief from Snoring and Sleep Apnoea (2012) and Relief from Anxiety and Panic (2017). She is accredited in the Buteyko Method of Breathing Retraining.
This 2-day workshop provides a solid introduction to breathing retraining. It aims to give you information and practical skills that will have immediate clinical application.
- A unique procedure to identify and assess dysfunctional breathing habits and their effect on the health and wellbeing of your patient
- Understand the mechanical, physiological, psychological and biochemical effects of dysfunctional breathing
- Understand the breathing/anxiety /insomnia/chronic pain and sleep disorders connection
- Techniques to help restore regular, comfortable, nose-diaphragm breathing with good posture and the optimal O2/CO2 balance during rest, speech, sleep and exercise
- Techniques to assist your clients to relieve acute symptoms such as blocked nose, dyspnoea, dizziness, panic attacks…
- Strategies to relieve and prevent the stress response, breathlessness, panic attacks and insomnia and for pain management.
- How to teach clients to integrate better breathing into everyday life, physical exercise, Pilates, yoga, meditation, pulmonary rehabilitation, and stress and pain management.
- How to monitor and improve your own breathing
This highly experiential and content-rich training features lectures, experiential exercises, discussions, case studies and question and answer periods. Participants will experience first-hand the practice and application of better breathing into rest, physical activity, speech and sleep over the two days.
Brisbane 20-21 July
Sydney 20-24 July
Adelaide 7-8 August
Melbourne 10-11 August
ENQUIRE and REGISTER: BreatheAbility.com