Physiotherapy Course Summary:
Join us to learn how to effectively use acupuncture in the treatment of tension headaches and migraines, with Jennie Longbottom.
- £110 for 1 day course.
- Easy access course location.
- Great venue.
"Consider a course of up to 10 sessions of acupuncture over 5-8 weeks for the prophylactic treatment of chronic tension-type headache." (NICE 2012)
This is a theoretical and practical course designed in two parts:
Exploring the use of Trigger Point acupuncture to reduce pain and restore function in a myofascial presentation of tension-type headache (TTH). Practical needling and the development of clinical protocols will be used to achieve effective management of tension headache with a myofascial presentation. There will be a review of recent research advances in the field of neural inhibitory mechanisms, myofascial pain physiology and acupuncture research, incorporating the work of Gerwin (1997) and Travell and Simons (1992) and exploring physiological mechanisms of dorsal horn and descending acupuncture inhibitory mechanisms.
Part II explores the management of migraine with traditional Chinese acupuncture (TCA) within a Western pain management model addressing systemic, hormonal and stress-induced migraine. The course will also explore the use of acupuncture for systemic balance of homeostasis in the management of more complex migraine presentation (Ying et al 2009; Wang et al 2011)
This course will provide participants with the following learning outcomes:
- An understanding of myofascial pain physiology and theoretical models of energy crisis, integrated hypothesis and facial, connective tissue model.
- An overview of current evidence and research in trigger point acupuncture for TTH
- An practical understanding of the physiological mechanisms involved in myofascial trigger point needling
- Practical needling skills in trigger point application for myofascial headaches
- An overview of contributory pain mechanisms in migraine encapsulating Homeostasis and migraine presentation, Hormonal migraine & Circulatory migraine
Tutor: Jennie Longbottom