Physiotherapy Course Summary:
This 2 day practical course will be run by Barb Hungerford and will take you through a biomechanical framework for assessment and treatment of the lumbo-pelvic region. The articular and Muscle Energy Techniques for the lumbar and pelvic articulations (Level 1 course) are reviewed, then you will be progressed into SIJ manipulation techniques and 3D myo-fascial techniques plus assessment of neural mobility. Techniques are discussed & are applied in relation to treatment of specific back pain presentations. This is followed by a discussion into the effects of joint dysfunction on muscular activation and motor control. Rehabilitation of core stability and graded retraining of optimal lumbo-pelvic stabilisation is also presented.
• Review anatomy and biomechanics of the pelvis and lumbar spine and the definitions of joint stability and functional load transfer through the lumbo-pelvic region
• Apply a biomechanical model in order to define dysfunction in the lumbo-pelvic region
• Present a biomechanical framework as a basis for assessment & differential diagnosis of articular and muscular function in the lumbar spine and pelvic region, and alterations to lumbo-pelvic stability
• Provide practical sessions during which muscle energy and articular techniques for specific Musculo-skeletal dysfunctions of the lumbar spine and pelvic joints are reviewed.
• Discuss the application of specific manipulation techniques for the sacroiliac joint, with practical application
• Integrate myo-fascial techniques, neural mobilisation, and SINGS techniques as part of a wholistic approach to treatment of the lumbo-pelvic-hip regio
• Application of a specific exercise program for retraining lumbo-pelvic stability
Pre-requisite: Previous attendance at Level 1 Treatment of the Pelvis & Lumbar spine course