Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    West Midlands
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Contracts

Hi, I am a newly qualified physio and keen to work in the private sector.

I have a few interviews coming up at private clinics and just wanted to get some insight into the type of contracts that either practice owners or physios working for someone at a clinic should expect?

I was offered a job at a clinic but turned it down due to the contract. I felt it was very restrictive, had to pay for my own training, find my own clients and was essentially a private contractor for this clinic. I could not practice outside of the clinics name. It was just not suitable as a new graduate with little experience of the more "business" aspect of physio.

I understand that a lot of 1:1 training is involved with private work and that courses and qualifications such as acupuncture would need to be paid back if you decided to leave after a year (or so!). However I have been told that being on a self-employed contract is better for both myself and the clinic? Can someone explain this to me? I would have thought that being an employee would be more secure for both parties?

If anyone can please clear this up or share their experiences I would really appreciate it

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Contracts

Hi,
    I think that you put too many things into one basket. Sort your thoughts. Have you tried E. de Bono's model of the six hats if you look at a job?

It was just not suitable as a new graduate with little experience of the more "business" aspect of physio.
    You are absolutely right.

1) Training
    You need to decide at what stage of Physio you are. Honestly - looking back at many years of working with new grad Physios - you haven't got a clue yet as to what is going on in the "real" world. You will need to do a lot of learning (theory and practice) until you have reached a stage in which you can confidently work on your own. No, it doesn't have to be 1:1, group sessions are fine and are often benficial to see a situation from many different angles.

2) Contract
    I see it like this:
    Employment: regular income, training included, supervision included, always someone on hand to bounce off ideas and get feedback, easy to take a holiday, help with setting up PDP and objectives. Does not matter whether this is in a private clinic or hospital or rehab centre or wherever. Some places do not pay for external training of their employees or you have to sign a contract and "work it off" for a specified amount of time - which is actually fair enough.
    Contracting: insecure income, you will have to take care of getting clients, seeing them, ensuring cover when you are on leave, do your own taxation, be very good at budgetting (no private or public holiday pay), pay for your own supervision and training; if you contract to several clinics (if they let you), you need to be careful of "company piracy" as I call it
    Self-employed:added to above is rent for rooms, paying for advertising, getting business approved, audits, extra insurances, etc.

I recommend employment to all new grads. Much less stress on financial side and you can focus on your own professional physio-related development better.

Good luck,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    WEST BENGAL
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Contracts

dear,
    physio .
    i dont have any idea about this. i also try to find out about this. a am olso suffering.