Flag of Iran
    Current Location
    at the center of chaos
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 20, Female, Presenting Problem Since: 1 day, Aggravating Factors:: walking, Easing Factors:: massaging in hot water and salt (nacl), Investigations: fully healed, no fracture seen, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, Medications: yearly injections of teriamcinolon acetolon for controlling allergy ( tho i know its not related), No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues

Wink Fourth Metatarsal Fracture Rehabilitation

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hey i fractured my fourth metatarsal in a silly skateboard game on a wet floor
    luckily i opened the boot yesterday after a month but i still have pain and little edema on my foot and walking is also painful for me
    while xray and stuff showed that its fully healed, but i still see some big Bruises on my foot, fingers and under my foot (its in a semi-healed level, i guess it was worse when it was in a boot). doctor told me the pain is ok since ull have pain on a Bruise area, but this pain is making me crazy since it stops me from daily activities (like walking to my workplace and classes)
    i dont know if its ok to forget the pain and move on it since im worry of breaking it again (i had enough hard times in the last month for paying for my stupidity..studying a major and 2 minors at once plus working is not possible with this situation
    )
    and im afriad since i feel like i forgot how to walk normally..is it ok?!

i tried to find some rehab exercises over the net and i found only 1 related post (not too bad tho) but it was about fifth meta
    http://www.summitmedicalgroup.com/library/sports_health/fifth_metatarsal_fracture_exercises/

i want to know how i can get back on track again, and how much time do u think it takes for me to run again? (as a hyperactive i cant stand still)

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    london
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Fourth Metatarsal Fracture Rehabilitation

X-rays only show Bone damage there are other structures such as ligaments and Tendons that may be damaged, but that said if you are only just out of the boot, swelling (and stiffness & temporary loss of range) is completely normal. If your foot is stuck in the same position for a whole month, the muscles are bound to shorten and weaken. I know you're in a lot of pain right now, but I'd give your foot a little more time to acclimatise to being without the boot before I had further investigations.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sarahkelly For This Useful Post:

Fourth Metatarsal Fracture Rehabilitation

zegond (04-01-2012)

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Iran
    Current Location
    at the center of chaos
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

hey thanks sarrah for ur advice, well im aware of such loss of muscle length and etc, but my hectic life wont give me any chance to rest (i lost enough chances in this month) so i should keep trying to get back on track and fast . i dont think about running on my foot yet (which makes my dad more satisfied ) but well i decided to walk a distance to my home while coming back from class to get used to pain and stuff, it wasnt much painful but i cant say its nothing, still i have alot of pain while walking on bare foot..and i get a painful response when i want to stand on my heels (there is a big unhealed bruise under my foot which i think its the cause of this much pain)

another question about the shoe : i have one of these shoes below (that i wore today) , id like to see if its a good idea to continue using it or should i change to normal shoes, since even tho it adds pain to beck muscles of the leg, but its easier to walk on, and i had less pain (it wont hurt for me anymore since i got used to it), but yet im worry about hurting my foot even more without knowing

http://www.skechers.com/style/12340/...spk#Color=SLTQ

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Iran
    Current Location
    at the center of chaos
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    thanks sarrah , and im well aware of that i need time to get fully healed and the bone is not the only thing that i injured.
    so well anyway i have to get back on track on my life since im so busy and cant stop anymore, today i decided to walk a distance to home (around 15 minutes usually , but took me 20 minutes to walk on pain) i can say i have less pain when i walk by shoe, but syill i have pain while bending my toes while walking ,

i have another question regarding to shoe, im using one of the shoes below and since i got used to using it, it wont hurt anymore on my back leg area, so im okay, since i feel comfortable on it, but im worry on hurting my foot without knowing, so please advise me to continue using it or to change to regular shoes

http://www.skechers.co.uk/style/1234...ktq#Color=BKTQ

Last edited by physiobob; 08-01-2012 at 10:46 AM.