Nepal
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

What is the remedy for Calcaneal Spur?

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    I am a student physiotherapy. I am studying right now. Many of my patients or relatives are having calcaneal spur. As being a physiotherapist I know the cause, signs and symptoms. I just wanted some of your advice what is the best method to cure it.
    Right now I am focusing on Stretching,Taping and Ultrasound. Some of them have recovered too. On addition to these techniques if there are any other then please suggest me.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    NZ
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: What is the remedy for Calcaneal Spur?

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Calcaneal spurs are more often than not asymptomatic and the problem is Wikipedia reference-linkplantar fasciitis - hense the high correlation between PF and spurs. What your doing is great. Ultrasound is debatable as to wether it does anything all round so we won't go into that now, but certainly stretching is very important. Taping is usually used in a Lo-di fashion to raise the arch... if you think about this, why would you do this? are you correcting a biomechanical fault that perhaps requires an orthoses in the shoe to help? it can be much easier and cheaper to put in a orthotic than always taping the joint. Other options would be tib post strengthening to increase muscular support to the arch. Massage can be helpful as well but like US it's benefit is debatable... Your patient will often feel much better afterwards however!
    You need to decide if it is recent and just needs time to settle, then what your doing is great, or if it is a chronic condition brought about by poor biomechanics.

Good luck